I'M SO HAPPY YOU'RE HERE!
Perfect! You've booked your session, now you're wondering, 'what do I wear?!' Wardrobe is a key element to creating beautiful images, so let me help you take the stress off with this guide.
Why Wardrobe Matters
I just want to tell you that I'm so happy you're here! If you've booked with me, chances are it's because you love the way I edit. Wardrobe is actually one of the most important factors in creating beautiful photos. I have a very specific editing style, so certain colors and tones will look better than say purples and blues. Above all, I want your images to be a reflection of you! I want you to be comfortable and feel your best so I'm here to help you create the perfect look for your session.
To help eliminate the stress of planning your wardrobe, I offer free style consults and client closet access with every package. If you opt to not use my client closet, I'm happy to still help you plan your outfits. You can send me photos of inspiration or ideas and we'll work together to create a look you love!
The colors I work best with are:
- Natural, earthy tones. Browns, creams, mauves/rose, olives, grays, light rust oranges.
- Brighter, warm colors. Mustards, burnt oranges, burgundy, golds.
Colors to stay away from:
- White, blue, bright pink, bright red, neon colors, purples
- Why to stay away from white? White often turns blue! Instead, opt for a cream!
Styling is HUGE. I want you to look and feel your best during your session. Long dresses, skirts and anything with movement is vital. That will allow me to capture so many artistic shots with your wardrobe.
Texture, layers, and flowy dresses help with the storytelling process. They give your photos movement and energy! Imagine I give you a prompt to spin or twirl. Now imagine doing that with a dress that will catch the wind and twirl with you. The difference is huge and will create such a powerful image.
Quick tip: I do not suggest short dresses or skirts. As flattering as they may be, that will really limit the poses or activities you can do. I am an unposed, candid photographer and shorter dresses can make that more difficult.
Don't want to wear a dress or skirt? Instead of jeans, opt for a cute jumpsuit or overalls! Flare jeans are making a comeback, so pair that with a cute, vintage knotted tee! The options are endless, so let's make it fun!
For guys, it's usually best to be on the side of overdressed. Nice shoes, and a pair of fitted pants with a nice shirt and you're almost there. Here are a few other tips to consider:
- Layers. A t-shirt is too casual, but add a jacket or overshirt and it's instantly a winner.
- A nice button up or henley tee is always safe and something most men will already have in their closet.
- Accessories. A nice watch, necklace, belt, or ring.
- Avoid: baggy jeans, unfitted shirts, tees with logos or loud patterns, polos, or running shoes. Fitted clothing and muted colors are best. Earth tones, blacks, whites, and pastels photograph so well.
- If a fresh haircut is your thing, make sure to schedule that at least 3-4 days in advance.
What to Avoid
- White: It often turns blue! Instead, opt for a cream if white is your thing!
- Bright, neon colors or loud patterns
- Ball caps and sunglasses
- Logos and slogans
- High-heels/Stilettos (we tend to walk through fields, so wedges are a great alternative or bring a change of shoes!)
- Women: I would avoid shorter dresses because you will be doing a variety of movements, sitting, and standing. I suggest a maxi skirt or dress so that you'll be comfortable no matter what!
Don't forget to accessorize! Hats, scarves, beanies, and jewelry can add so much depth and personality to your images. So let your hair down and add a cute hat to your dress. Pop in some teal rings! Add florals to your hair. So many options, have fun!
My Favorite Shops
- A great place to start piecing together your wardrobe is your own closet!
- Women: Baltic Born, Free People, Reclamation on Etsy
- Children: Joyfolie (girls), Zara, H&M, Rylee + Cru, Old Navy
- Amazon can be a great place for hidden gems as well!